Sunday, September 18, 2016

Cooking

Cooking Is My Hobby


Cooking has become my favorite hobby as an adult. It was something that I learned at an early age from my maternal grandmother.  My grandmother was a magnificent cook who never received any formal training.

When I am cooking, I can completely immerse myself in the process. My cooking process includes but is not limited to; planning my menu, prepping my ingredients and executing each course with precision.

The kitchen is truly my happy place. When I am cooking, I savor each step of the process because it is a place where I can plug in my ear buds, listen to my favorite music and create a melodious symphony of flavors that I know my family will be eager to devour.  

However, my greatest joy occurs when I have set the table and everyone has had their first bite.  It truly warms my heart to watch my family enjoy what I have made for them with so much love and care.

The kitchen is also a place of refuge for me.  When I have had a particularly difficult day, it is therapeutic for me to create an impromptu meal and lose myself in the process.  The attention that I must pay to the tasks required for each course grants me the opportunity to forget about the challenges experienced earlier in my day and release my stress while I prep each course.

What is your favorite hobby? Why?

Vocabulary
immerse (verb) to involve deeply
precision (noun) accuracy
savor (noun) to give oneself to the enjoyment of
melodious (adjective) tuneful or musical
devour (verb) to eat up hungrily
refuge (noun) a place of aid, relief or escape
therapeutic (adjective) curative
impromptu (adjective) done without being planned or prepared for in advance

Vocabulary Exercise: Synonyms
Write one synonym for each of the vocabulary words.

1. Immerse         _________________
2. Precision        _________________
3. Savor              _________________
4. Melodious      _________________
5. Devour           _________________
6. Refuge           _________________
7. Therapeutic   _________________

Grammar Point:
A verb is a word that is used to describe an action.  Please write a composition detailing your favorite hobby and include three verbs in your writing.




3 comments:

  1. Good entry! I like cooking too. You have a nice photo of the turkey meal and all th essential parts of the blog. The word "impromptu" should also be defined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking as well especially around the holidays.I try to create all the traditional meals my family enjoy and try some new ones as well. I also, find the most satisfying moment is setting the table and seeing my family enjoy the food I have prepared with such dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still live at home with my parents so I do not have much opportunity or need to cook. I hope when I move out one day I feel the same way as you do because I do like to bake and I love the food my family cooks. As of now I can't imagine having the time to cook with my busy schedule, but I guess it has to get done somehow. As long as I do not feel that it becomes such a chore I believe I would really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete